unable to configure mpich2 in xterm - worked fine in non-X cygwin terminal

I recently tried to configure and make mpich2 for a parallel programming class.  I was working from an xterm window running bash.  The configure script would hang on certain checks.  Another student had the exact same problem on his machine too.

We discovered that we could configure and build the exact same sources from the standard non-X11 cygwin terminal.

Attached are the outputs from cygcheck -s -v -r taken both in the xterm window and the default Cygwin terminal.

Thanks,

Carl Anderson