RE: various X-based apps (konsole, mplayer, mencoder) fail to start

John J. McDonough, WB8RCR wrote on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:01 AM::

> Do ANY X applications work?  Have you ever seen a GUI screen on your
> XP laptop?
>
> Bringing up a Cygwin terminal window is NOT the same as starting an
> Xterm. Do you have the Cygwin X displayed in the tray?

This is a valid question, but I think the lack of any error message
points to a missing DLL.  If it was due to there being no X server,
the normal response is to say something to the effect that it
cannot connect to the display.

Running "cygcheck konsole.exe" will show if any DLLs couldn't be
found.

If any DLLs are missing, e.g. C:\cygwin\bin\cygkdefx-4.dll,
run cygcheck -p /bin/cygkdefx-4.dll to find out which package needs
to be installed.

Phil

--
This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.