Re: Windows Vista

Cygwin does indeed run on 32-bit versions of Windows Vista.
Don't know about 64-bit versions. In my experience, there
are a few catches to getting Cygwin to work on Vista:

   1. Run the Cygwin setup as Administrator and in XP
      Compatibility Mode.

   2. I had better luck when I did the install in two
      stages: First, I just downloaded the packages, then
      I ran setup again and chose the install from local
      repository option.

   3. After installation, run Cygwin's rebaseall command
      from an ash (not bash) shell.

   4. When you finally run the Cygwin bash shell for real,
      be sure to use Vista's "Run as Administrator" option.

   5. Also make sure that your firewall is not blocking
      Xwin.exe or bash.exe.

FWIW, the Xming X server works just fine on Vista, and you
can use Xming as your X Server when running PuTTY or many if
not all of the Cygwin X-based apps.

Hope this helps,

Scott