Re: Problems with keyb layout and fonts?

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> I want to flag the following problems I meet with the new X11R7.4. They
> happen both with just an upgrade and reinstalling all from scratch.
>
> 1.
> With the new X11R7.4 I have lost the italian layout of keyboard which
> now reacts as an english KB. In the XWin.log I found:
>
> [...]
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
> (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
> (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
> (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> (--) 5 mouse buttons found
> (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
> (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000410" (00000410)
> (--) Using preset keyboard for "Italian" (410), type "4"
> (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> [...]
>
> but I do not know how to solve it.

Can you check if you have the xkbcomp package installed (the upgrade should
have done this automatically), and if xkbcomp is on your path and is runnable?

> 2.
> with which the "BitStream" plus the previous x server X11R6.99 work just
> fine (see [1] for a demo); but now with X11R7.4 it seems that instead of
> Bitstream, luxi-mono is loaded (see the attached png file). I have
> installed all font* pkgs.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand where these fonts came from.

If it's something you've installed yourself, you'll need to reinstall them as
the fonts have moved to /usr/share/fonts, as mentioned in Yaakov's announce
mail [1]

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2008-11/msg00000.html