Re: XWin requires tty for console log output

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
Jon,

For some reason which I have yet to investigate, XWin requires a tty to
the log to the terminal.  That means it will output to terminal in VTs,
but will not work in ordinary cmd/bash shells without setting
CYGWIN=tty; instead you will see a cmd window briefly flashing on screen
when launched.

Have you seen anything that would be causing this?

No idea.

However, this does explain some confusing reports of no output from XWin; I discover I do have CYGWIN=tty in my environment :-)