From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of RICHARD RASO
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:03 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Installed CygwinX and xhost not found

Hi,

I have just installed CygwinX on my new laptop which is running MS XP
Pro version 2002 service pack 2. I used install options All User and
Unix mode. I also took the default of downloading all packages. I am
trying to setup a X window environment so I can run the Oracle Universal
Installer to load Oracle onto my zOS mainframe environment.

The first time I started Cygwin from the desktop short cut, I issue the
command xhost + , I then received the error message 'bash: xhost not
found'. So I have searched the FAQs and found a note that says to add a
path statement to correct this problem. Next, I remembered the
installation said I could customize the
C:\cygwin\home\rraso\.bash_profile by adding this statement

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH".So I customized the profile
and retried the shortcut, followed by xhost +, same resulting error
message. After removing the change, I tried inserting the path statement
into the Cygwin.BAT file, both before the change directory command and
after the bash logon command. Both tests produced the same results
'xhost + not found'.

Next, I reinstalled the software but I installed the CygwinX support. I
checked the CygwinX documentation and in chapter 4, it talks about
starting CygwinX with either startwxin.bat, or startxwin.sh or startx. I
have searched my Cygwin files for this members and do not find them. I
was expecting to find one or more of them.

Do I create a startxwin file? If not, did my installation not work
correctly?

So at this point, I am not sure where to insert the path statement or
even if I have the right statement to insert into someplace the Cygwin
files.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.