Re: X11 apps failing after upgrade

James Ferguson wrote:
If you're building emacs yourself, you might try to ./configure it
--without-xim to see if that makes a difference, or if it just fails
in a different place.

That worked -  Thank you... Now I can run Emacs (from the non-production
Solaris machine I'm allowed to patch).

Thanks for being the guinea pig.

What is the failure mode for running emacs on an unpatched Solaris?

Now I'm just trying to work out how to get readable fonts.  The behavior
seems weird.  The fonts appear to be huge and they looks like a bitmap
font scaled up.  10 point Courier is really quite large, and 8 point is
too small.  It's all very strange.

Do you have the font-adobe-dpi75 package installed?

Is there some dpi setting I should tweak?  I tried -dpi on the XWin
command but it didn't seem to have any effect.

(background: My XP is at the default dpi, though I did tweak it up and
back down a few months ago)

I don't think changing the X server -dpi actually affects the DPI used for fonts (counter-intuitive perhaps, but this would generally make them look even worse)