Re: X11 apps failing after upgrade

James Ferguson wrote:
What is the failure mode for running emacs on an unpatched Solaris?

Same before and after the patch (the almost immediate BadAtom error).

Are you sure that the stack trace points back to XCreateIC() in an emacs built --without-xim run on an unpatched Solaris?

However, before the patch, when I ran an xterm it displayed, but the
first keystroke made it crash with BadAlloc.  After the patch, xterm
appears to run fine, though I notice that the menus on ctrl-mouse don't
appear correctly, they're foreshortened and only show half the first
item in the menu.

My .Xdefaults files are pretty much empty.  I can't think what else I
might have that's odd.

Do you have the font-adobe-dpi75 package installed?

Yeah - I installed them - indeed trying to find something which looks good to my eyes, I've installed just about every font except the Cyrillic fonts. I used to try to avoid Courier, because in some personal aesthetic I don't like it, but even that doesn't work for me now because 8pt is too small and 10pt is really large (much larger and uglier than, for instance, MS Word displays its 10pt Courier).

If you have both dpi75 and dpi100 font packages installed, I think the default server fontpath lists the dpi100 font first, so that is the font which will be used.

The difference between dpi75 and dpi100 font packages for any given point size on the same display is that the dpi100 font is larger.

So perhaps what you need to do is uninstall the dpi100 font package?