Re: /tmp/.X0-lock problem

Charles Swenson wrote:
FAQ 3.4. Fatal server error: Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

I just installed cygwin for the first time (newbie) on a XP-SP3 laptop
to gain access to my Linux systems. Install was straight forward but I
ran into this error as noted in the FAQ file upon launching X (Start
menu or command line)

I tried the possible workarounds:

1. rm -rf /tmp; mkdir /tmp ; chmod 1777 /tmp
Which did not work for me but

2. startx -- -nolock

did work for me. I can try some things if someone needs a "broken
system" to diagnose.

Can you provide the output of 'strace Xwin' , please.