Re: configure error in X build - cpp requires -undef

Tom George wrote:
I got the source via cygwin setup.

I hope there are a few steps between that and getting to run ./configure, but it seems I must guess what they are...

So, guessing wildly, you need to run the package's autogen.sh script to regenerate ./configure after applying the patches.

Looks like I need to add more detailed instructions in the Contributor's Guide...

> The version is 1.0.5-1.

No, that's not right.

Jon TURNEY wrote:
Tom George wrote:
I am trying to build the Cygwin/X following the instructions in the Cygwin/X Contributors Guide.

When I run

./configure --prefix=/usr

the last few lines of output are:
checking if /usr/bin/cpp requires -undef... configure: error: /usr/bin/cpp defines unix with or without -undef. I don't know what to do.

Any help to get past this would be greatly appreciated.

This means that the X server source you are building didn't have it's ./configure generated with xorg-util-macros with a patch needed for cygwin [1]

The X server source package available via cygwin setup shouldn't have this problem. What source are you using?

[1] http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/xorg/xorg-util-macros/1.1-cpp-undef.patch?view=markup