was "missing fonts?" in cygwin@cygwin.com

Hi,

I asked the following question in "cygwin@cygwin.com":

> I have upgraded Cygwin to X11R7.4. In the past I could read my e-mail
> via "ssh" and "dtmail" from a Solaris machine with a nice font. Now I
> get a font which is about twice the size of the old one so that I get
> too few lines in my dtmail-window and therefore have to scroll a lot.
> I have already installed all available fonts from my mirror site
> without solving this problem. I don't know which fonts are not available
> in X11R7 which were available in X11R6. Does anybody know which font I
> need and where I can download the missing font for X11R7?

I got a helpful reply from David Burgess and somebody told me that I
asked in the wrong list so that I send my "solution" to the appropriate
list.

> My workaround to this problem is to copy all fonts
> from the solaris machine in /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts to a
> cygwin user's directory (say /home/user/owfonts), then use
>
> xset +fp '/home/user/owfonts/75dpi'

I installed the fonts from an older Cygwin distribution and used
"xset +fp /home/Admin/fonts/75dpi" to prepend the old fonts to the
font path. This solved my problem. Now I wanted to find out what was
different. Therefore I compared /usr/share/fonts/75dpi and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi from X11R7 and X11R6 (I had to
"gunzip" the files first). Only the files "encodings.dir" were
different. The old file contained an additional line
ansi-1251 /usr/share/fonts/encodings/ansi-1251.enc.gz.
Therefore I copied the file ansi-1251.enc.gz from X11R6 to
/usr/share/fonts/encodings/ and rebuilt fonts.dir. Unfortunately I
had the same problem once more. With "xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
I could solve my problem so that it probably depended on the font
path. "xset -q" on the new machine displays

Font Path:
  built-ins,/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
  /usr/share/fonts/OTF,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
  /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/

and on the old machine

Font Path:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

When I change the order of the font directories with
"xset -fp /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" and
"xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/",

I once more have a solution for my problem. Is there a reason why
the order of the directories changed? Is it possible to switch the
order of the directories back to the order of X11R6 in the
distribution?

Kind regards

Siegmar