Re: Cygwin/X (XWin) falls down when using -fp option

Jana SkleniÄkovà wrote:
I upgraded to latest (I believe) version of Cygwin (uname
-a=CYGWIN_NT-5.1 my_computer_name 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34
i686 Cygwin) and after that I experience problem running XWin to a
computer running Solaris OS, when font path is set to remote font
server.
[...]
I get the login screen, I fill up login, then password (during these
both steps I have hourglass cursor), then I get the initial Solaris
screen and then everything disappears. All I have is the log that
isn't much helpfull. I found out that the problem is caused by using
the option -fp. When I don't set the -fp option everything works fine.
Unfortunately I can't use local fonts because I have a problem with
size of several windows at Solaris computer. I cannot change anything
at Solaris computer, it's "preservered", running CDE version 1.2. But
it worked without problem with older version of Cygwin/X, I dind't
upgraded it for quite a long time.

You should probably look for log files in ~/.dt/ on the Solaris machine [1]

You might also try logging into the Solaris host using ssh or telnet (using ssh -Y or setting DISPLAY to point to the cygwin X server) and opening an X client on the cygwin X server (started without using the -query XDMCP option) to check if that succeeds or fails in a similar fashion.

[1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-7492/troublelogin-30002?a=view