cygwin and matlab 7.7 problems

Howdy!

I have a pretty interesting problem, I installed a new version of matlab on
an ubuntu linux box. Two users in my group are using cygwin on their PC's to
connect and export the matlab displays back to their local machines. Both
users are having problems with the Matlab gui; both are experiencing
anomalies in the Menu functions, where they can not click on menu functions,
i.e save, open, new, etc. They are able to run these commands using
'hotkeys', but clicking on the option in the pull down menu is not possible.

When I tested it using my OSX, 10.5.5, and export the Matlab gui back to my
machine, there are no functionality problems. I can access all menu items
normally.

Using a windows emulator, I installed cygwin and experienced the same
problems. When I installed it I noticed that the installer was the latest
release, and the X11 packages are for X11R6. I noticed there was a new
release of X in November 2008, X11R7, but I can not find out where or how to
install this update to see if this fixes the menu bugs. All the sites
recommend just using the cygwin setup.exe and selecting all the X11
packages, but that does not seem to work.

That being said....  I have a few questions...

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Matlab 7.6 or 7.7 using
cygwin?
2. Does anyone know how to update the X11R6 to X11R7?
3. Does anyone have any approaches to fixing this?

Thanks for your help in advance....

-J