/usr/bin/startx fails on new x.org install?

I updated Cygwin and got the new x.org server. I have a couple of problems:

1. /usr/bin/startx can no longer be used to launch X in multiwindow mode. Instead, it creates the auth file, prints a dialog telling me to read /var/log/XWin.0.log, and that I'm running the Cygwin/X project version 1.5.3.0 (20090205), i.e. I'm current, and exits. /var/log/XWin.0.log says:

[..]
XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /cygdrive/c/Documents and
 Settings/lwood/.serverauth.3000

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1400 h 1050
winInitializeDefaultScreens - returning
Unrecognized option: and
[..]

the 'and' suggesting that something, somewhere, is not quoting path names or escaping spaces to '\ 'to handle the spaces in 'Documents and Settings' correctly. Some messing around with the startx script didn't turn up anything obvious; putting quotes around "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/lwood/.serverauth.3000" did not change the error behaviour; still 'Unrecognized option: and'. So, probably not startx's fault.

it would be nice if the "unrecognised option" line shows up in the dialog directly to speed up testing.

2. Trouble launching multiwindow mode. startx (which previously gave me multiwindow) no longer works (above).
xinit -multiwindow
fails
xinit -- -multiwindow
oddly, succeeds. No idea why.

3. No cut and paste between the X desktop and Windows. Completely separate. Is this by design? (I can't figure out any copy/paste in the cygwin dumb terminal window, either.) Hurrah for multiwindow mode, where it works, and which I happily scurried back to as soon as I figured out how.

4. Hogging and not freeing menu/window resources in X, as my Insight Tcl program failing with 'unable to register Tk TopLevel class' or failing to draw a window properly indicates:
http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Tcl/comp.lang.tcl/2008-04/msg00769.html
yes, Insight Tcl programs can be run without X being launched. But I have to quit X (desktop or multiwindow mode) to pull down and draw a menu in e.g. the mail program where I'm writing this.

5. No OpenGL hardware acceleration (yet?)

Any hints welcomed.

thanks,

L.