Re: /usr/bin/startx fails on new x.org install?

> Lloyd Wood wrote:
> > XWin was started with the following command line:
> >
> > /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /cygdrive/c/Documents and
> >  Settings/lwood/.serverauth.3000
> >
> > ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
> > winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1400 h 1050
> > winInitializeDefaultScreens - returning
> > Unrecognized option: and
> > [..]
>
> This isn't X-specific; spaces and *NIX paths don't mix.

Tell that to any Mac OS X user.

> Please use a
> sane home directory, like /home/lwood.

startx used to work. Now, it doesn't. Ergo, like lack of opengl hardware acceleration, it can be argued that it's a regression in functionality. (I have to keep files under Documents\ and\ Settings. That has worked fine for for startx the last eight years. Now, it's broken.)

handling of paths has been broken, due to lame programming practices. it needs to be fixed.

> > 4. Hogging and not freeing menu/window resources in X, as my Insight Tcl program failing with 'unable to register Tk TopLevel class' or failing to draw a window properly indicates:
> > <http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Tcl/comp.lang.tcl/2008-04/msg00769.html>http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Tcl/comp.lang.tcl/2008-04/msg00769.html
> > yes, Insight Tcl programs can be run without X being launched. But I have to quit X (desktop or multiwindow mode) to pull down and draw a menu in > e.g. the mail program where I'm writing this.
>
> Cygwin's Tcl/Tk is currently Windows based, and this message is clearly
> talking about a Windows version of Tcl/Tk.  I don't see what that has to
> do with X11?

I'm walking you through visible symptoms, diagnosis, and explanation. the new Xserver is demonstrably a resource hog, in that it interferes with normal Windows operation.

This is clearly not mature yet. How do I roll back to the old X server that does not exhibit these problems, and has hardware acceleration to boot? A checkpoint at 'last good previous Xserver' would be very desirable.