Re: "-query" not working on cygwin/windows

This is a update including further information regarding my quest to get
cygwin/x to connect to my CentOS linux server via xdmcp.

I believe I have isolated the problem to either cygwin/x or Windows,
probably Windows because no X-server that I've tried works. I've tried
cygwin/x, Xming, and X-Win32. I've isolated the problem by booting my
Windows PC from a Linux LiveCD (pclos). Using the pclos X-server I
successfully connected to my CentOS host using "X :1 -query <centos box>" .
It works perfectly. A beautiful gdm login screen pops up immediately. I
think this proves that xdmcp is configured correctly on the CentOS host and
that my network is not contributing to the problem.

The above successful connection seems to isolate the problem to either
cygwin/x, Windows, or the combination of both. Although no one on this site
has confirmed that they are actually using cygwin/x successfully in an xdmcp
environment I'm assuming that it does work for somebody. If that assumption
is correct then it appears something in my Windows configuration is blocking
cygwin/x, and the other X-servers, from working properly. Could it be that
necessary ports on my Windows box are blocked? I have my Windows firewall
turned off. But I'm not sure that disabling the firewall opens the ports. Do
I even need to open certain ports on the Windows box? This is an area that I
know virtually nothing about.

Phil, you had several questions. One was, "why do you want to use xdmcp?". I
want to use xdmcp for the same reason anyone wants to use it and for the
same reason that it exists. That is, I want to log in to a complete gnome
environment. I don't want to run individual applications. You suggested I
contact someone who is familiar with my Linux distribution to make sure I
have xdmcp set up correctly. I have already done that. I am asking many of
the same questions on the CentOS forum that I'm asking here. You gave me
several links to study. I've read those and more. I've been at this for
days. You asked why I'm "blaming cygwin". I don't know what I said that made
you think that. I'm not blaming anybody or anything. I'm just trying to get
a gdm login screen on my PC. My problem may be related to Windows security.
Can you suggest a good forum where I can find an expert on that? I don't
know any Windows experts personally. I'm not sure they exist.