RE: Reproducing the cygwin X problems

I have two dual-core systems and they both have clipboard problems.

-Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Jon TURNEY
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:14 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: dan.tsafrir@gmail.com; mike_ayers@tvworks.com
Subject: Re: Reproducing the cygwin X problems

Dan Tsafrir wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Mike Ayers wrote:
>>        I can neither confirm nor deny this, as I don't have ClipBook
available.

> Did you try to run 'clipbrd' through start->run ?
>

>>        I just kill Xwin.exe forcibly in task manager - it takes all X
apps with it.

> Right.
>

>>  However, the better trick I discovered recently is to click on VNC's
taskbar
>> icon and close it.  Once it closes, the X applications recover and
can
>> cut-n-pste with Windows apps.  Also, because VNC is VNC, no setup
>> is lost there either - I can reconnect and my console is unharmed.
>
> This too works for me (but as you say, only if I kill the vncviewer
> through the context menu that pops up when right clicking its taskbar
> icon; strangely, killing it through the top right x doesn't produce a
> similar effect). Thanks!
>

>> I suspect the problem here may be contention between the two
applications
>> that want to share the clipboard.  Our other report implicated Office
clipboard,
>> which may be doing the same thing..?

Dan & Mike,

Thanks very much for this information on the clipboard problems.  I've
been
able to reproduce something similar to the problems you describe, so I
will
spend some time trying to fix it.

It seems likely that this clipboard contention between multiple
applications
might behave differently on machines with multi-core processors (which I
don't
have the capability to test on), so can you indicate if you are using
single-core or multi-core processor?