Re: "-query" not working on cygwin/windows

km4hr writes:
> At cygwin shell prompt I enter "netstat -na |grep 600*"
> I get this:
> UDP    0.0.0.0:6000   *:*
> UDP    0.0.0.0:6001   *:*
> UDP    0.0.0.0:6002   *:*
> ..etc..
>
> "netstat -na | grep 177" returns nothing.
>
> I get the above responses whether my Windows firewall is on or off.
>
> Also, why does netstat say UDP in the above responses? I specifically
> enabled these ports as TCP in the Windows firewall configuration screen.
>
> I configured port 177 just like ports 6000-6005. But it never shows up in
> "netstat -na". Why?

If you're OK with turning off Windows Firewall, do that, to remove one potential
area of networking conflict.  Leave it off until you get things working and then
add it back in afterwards.

Having the Firewall open a port just means that some program on your PC trying
to listen on that port will actually receive traffic from the network.  If the
port is closed the program might be able to listen on that port but it won't
receive anything because the Firewall has blocked the traffic to it.

Netstat is showing you something different: the ports that are currently being
listened on by running programs.  Use the '-o' option to netstat to have it
print the Windows pids of the listening programs.  E.g., 'netstat -ano'.
Sometimes Cygwin pids are different from Windows pids for reasons not important
here.  Use the Windows Task Manager to identify Cygwin processes from Windows
pids if necessary.

I don't know why your netstat display shows UDP.  If I were to speculate, I'd
say you mistakenly enabled UDP rather than TCP in the Firewall and the X Server
was able to open listening sockets for UDP datagrams.  There's no 177 in your
netstat display because there probably isn't any program currently running to
listen on that port.  Do you have to start xdmcp manually?  I don't know how
that works.  I just know that I see TCP for ports 6000 and up when I run the
Cygwin X server.

..mark