Re: Background processes with Cygwin

--- On Sat, 4/4/09, Matt Wozniski wrote:

> From: Matt Wozniski
> Subject: Re: Background processes with Cygwin
> To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
> Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 11:02 PM
> http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
>
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Peter Farley
> wrote:
> >
> > --- On Fri, 4/3/09, Jeff Irwin wrote:
>
> Don't quote headers like this.? It's not useful to
> anyone, and it feeds the spammers.
>
> >> From: Jeff Irwin
> >> Subject: Background processes with Cygwin
> >> Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 2:48 PM
> > <Snipped>
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL
> - Reformatted
>
> > PMFJI here, but if you log out of Cygwin, then the
> > Cygwin process terminates. Why would you think
> > that a process started under Cygwin could survive
> > the termination of Cygwin?? That just doesn't make
> > sense, even to this raw newbie.
>
> You're missing something big.? Cygwin isn't a
> process.? It's a DLL that provides a UNIX-like
> environment.? You don't terminate cygwin, you
> terminate a shell that's using the Unix
> emulation provided by cygwin1.dll.
>
> > Among other things, the whole *ix environment
> > that Cygwin provides would be gone, so how could
> > your process possibly continue?? This isn't "real"
> > *ix, it's *ix facilities provided under the
> > control of another quite different
> > (and generally more hostile) OS environment.
>
> The *ix facilities are provided by a DLL, not by a
> process, and the applications can continue running
> after the shell exits, just like in any other
> *ix - the DLL didn't go away, after all.
>
> > Maybe I'm missing something crucial in my
> > understanding of how Cygwin and Windows operate.
> > If so, I'd appreciate a cure for my ignorance.
>
> Hopefully this clears things up.? Unfortunately, I'm
> not sure why things aren't
> working for the OP.? In any event, switching to the
> main cygwin list instead of
> the cygwin-xfree list (which is only for X11 related
> issues) would probably
> help get him the help he needs.

Apologies for both of those trespasses.  I didn't look
at what yahoo mail was generating.  Serves me right for
not looking.  Mea maxima culpa, and I will check first
and fix it in the future.  Unfortunately yahoo's web
email isn't very bright.

And thank you for those explanations.  They do help cure
my ignorance.

Peter