Re: Novice Question

Andys wrote:
Trying to get the lastest X to run on Cygwin 1-7 but only seem to be able to get a core dump.... the log:

Firstly, thanks very much for trying it out and reporting the problem.

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1680 h 1050
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for inet6

When I run the commands manually from the startxwin.bat I get a "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)"

IP6 is installed on a Vista32 OS but I have no clue on how to further diagnose the problem

I don't believe IPv6 is the cause of the problem you are seeing, this just happens to be the last line of output written.

You could test this by adding '-nolisten inet6' to the command line used to start the X server.

All software used is the latest as of today

Any suggestions welcome

If the suggestion above fails, I'd like your help to get a backtrace, if you are willing:

1. Download
(this is a build of the X server but with debugging symbols unstripped)
2. bunzip2 XWin.20090628173519.exe.bz2 to uncompress it
3. gdb --args ./XWin.20090628173519.exe -multiwindow -clipboard -logverbose 3
(you may need to install the gdb package)
4 wait for the '(gdb)' prompt, type 'r'
5. wait for the segmentation fault to occur, you should get another '(gdb)' prompt, "bt full"
6. post the output