Re: [1.7] Socket problems after xorg-server update

On 28/06/2009 13:17, Jon TURNEY wrote:
This is curious. I don't seem to have IPv6 installed and the server
starts fine for me, with that warning.

I was running 1.6.0 on WinXP w/o IPv6 installed for some time.

You could try disabling the IPv6 socket with '-nolisten inet6' to see if
it makes a difference.

It does start a bit faster.

Cygwin 1.7 adds IPv6 support, so the IPv6 support in xtrans is now
turned on.
I guess there could easily be cygwin-specific problems with it...

It seems that the same applies for the other xservers. But interestingly, xscope (which is also acts as an X server, and uses Xtrans) starts immediately while emitting the same warning. So I suspect the culprit is in xserver/os/ rather than Xtrans.

1. After running startxwin.bat, it takes about 20 seconds for the X
icon to appear in the taskbar. I guess that's related to the socket
problems reported in the log.

Confirmed; I just hadn't noticed it because of how I was launching X.

Yaakov