Re: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct, was: post-upgrade problems

Tom Roche wrote:
Tom Roche Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Jon TURNEY Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM (heavily edited)

Thanks: those (and fiddling) have solved most of my problems. The one annoyance that remain is this:

Despite installing package=font-misc-misc (recommended by
) via setup.exe, everytime I start an xterm I get
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct

This doesn't seem to cause any functional problem, it just annoys. (I.e. I hafta hit Enter to get my prompt back.) Uninstalling and reinstalling font-misc-misc (via setup.exe) was no fix. Any suggestions?

Installing the font-alias package and restarting the X server or xset fp rehash should fix that.

I think the problem is that the font-alias package contains the alias from the name 'nil2' to '-misc-nil-medium-r-normal--2-20-75-75-c-10-misc-fontspecific' an XLFD name which matches the actual font inside the 'nil2.pcf.gz' file.

I guess this means we still aren't doing quite the right thing with the fonts.alias package (See for some of the history of the why it is the way it is at the moment)

Perhaps to avoid this, xterm's setup.hint should list font-alias as a requirement since it names fonts defined there in it's default resources?