Re: XWin freezes on xkbcomp

On 02/07/2009 19:08, Zdrojewski, Tye wrote:
After recently reinstalling cygwin, XWin freezes when I try to run it.
There are two XWin processes running when it is frozen.  When the XWin
process with the smaller memory footprint was killed, the following went
into the log, and it appeared to unfreeze for a moment.

(EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp

(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

I started XWin with the -kb option, which stopped the freezing, but I
don't use the standard US keyboard, so this isn't really on option for
me.

I suggest you test if you can run xkbcomp at all, e.g.

xkbcomp --help
setxkbmap de -print | xkbcomp -w3 -xkm - localhost:0.0

(replace 'de' with the secret keyboard layout you want to use)

I also notice that /etc/X11/xkb/ is not there, along with several other
directories that ARE there on another PC with a working cygwin install:

$ ls /etc/X11

app-defaults/ system.XWinrc* xinit/

This is normal

Seems like there ought to be more there, because this is what that dir
looks like on the working install:

app-defaults/  fs/  lbxproxy/  proxymngr/  rstart/  twm/  xdm/  xinit/
xkb/  xserver/  xsm/

This looks like an older (pre-X11R7.4) installation (or has directories left over from an older installation. For all I know that xkb/ is empty :-) )

This seems like a BIG problem.  Hopefully this is something already
being worked on or already fixed.

I think you are the only person who has reported a problem like this, so I'm afraid I can't agree with any of those statements.