Re: How to open a standalone xterm

On 28/10/2009 13:01, Joel Gwynn wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
>> On 10/27/2009 11:02 PM, Joel Gwynn wrote:
>>>
>>> So it looks like if I first start up the multiwindow window manager
>>> like so: "xwin -multiwindow&", then I can run xterm, but I have to
>>> specify the display.  What's the typical way of automating this?
>>
>> startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh.
>
> Duh.  Guess I need more sleep :)

We even put an item on the start menu that runs that for you :-)

On Behalf Of Joel Gwynn
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:27 AM

And now, sporadically, when I run startxwin.sh, sometimes it works, ie
opens up the xterm, but sometimes some windows open, with text that I
can't read quickly enough, then go away.  If I close Xwin and try
again, sometimes it will work, mostly not.

You're not running startxwin twice, right? That won't work - you must run the xterm command from an existing xterm, a cygwin window, or the xterm icon in the start menu (which can be copied to the quicklaunch bar).

Hmm... startxwin.bat invokes Xwin with -silent-dup-error, so it should have the effect of just starting another Xterm if the X server is already running.

This might be construed as a feature :-)