Re: 'run xterm' fails to open a window

Gery Herbozo Jimenez wrote:
Thanks for your answer and explanation. I just press the Xserver icon and
t hen the xterm (most of the time) appears. If not, I press the xterm
icon.  Simple like that. I don't write "run" or something like that in
anycase.
---
  Oddly enough, I find the menu items less reliable (by grouping):

  Under cygwin:
     - MinTTY, rxvt-unicode-xS, rxvt-unicode-xC:     work
     - rxvt-x, rxvt-native   (*pseudo* work: come up w/poopy doublewide-font)

Under cygwin/cygwin-X - oclock works, but not xclock.
- rxvt works (perversely, w/double-wide chars)
- none of the rest work

  Under cygwin/cygwin-X/Toys:
     - glxgears, xeyes, xlogo, ico    ---  all work
     - xgc doesn't work from menu   (but does from Bash).

  Under cygwin/cygwin-x/tools:
     - only xev and xrefresh work
     - idle gives a path-not-found message (may not be installed)
     - the rest give no output, but start a process (that sits in
       background until I kill it).

  Under cygwin-xgames, texteroids brings up a window, then immediately
     exits.  From bash, I see the error message:

| %% DPS Client Library Warning:
| Auto-launching DPS NX agent.
| %% DPS Client Library Warning:
| FAILED to auto-launch:
| dpsnx.agent
|
| texteroids: DPS is not available.
| You need an X server with the DPS extension, or a DPS NX agent.
Hope this helps.

In some way. It lets me know that my reasoning for doing
workarounds, that I implemented years ago, were done for good
reason. The default menu items don't work reliably in some
environments (like mine).

It is interesting to check out things I didn't even know I had installed! :-)

I don't regard any of the above that don't work as 'bugs', as I don't know what some of them are *supposed* to do, and it could easily be
I have something interfering in my path. I'd have to go through each menu
item in its properties and figure out why they didn't work before I'd call
them a bug -- some may be left over menu items that didn't get deleted
"properly' when an app was moved or uninstalled.

I see at least a few, in my setup, that still reference /usr/X11R6/bin for executables, when their executable is now under /usr/bin (though some executables are under my /usr/X11R6/bin -- maybe alien binaries; again, I'd only report something as a bug if I was
pretty sure it wasn't unique to my setup; I do too many non-standard
things; :-) ).

I don't know how the shortcut got left around, so I certainly wouldn't report it as "bug" or problem to the cygwin list.

Another potential source of problem I found today, while playing around.

I had the  setting of LANG set to incorrect value 'en_US.utf8', but it
should be 'en_US.utf-8' for some applications that 'care'.  :-)

Same could could for CTYPE or some of the LC prefixed vars -- if they are
set incorrectly it might prevent one of the X utils opening properly when
called by run.

To set those values, you need to alter them in 'System properties',
Advanced -> "Environment Variables".  I have LANG in my "System variables"
section, but DISPLAY, I made a 'User' variable.  I see LANG being SYSTEM
wide.  I see DISPLAY as only being valid with my login as it's only
when I login that the Xserver is started (I autostart it via a shortcut
in my Programs->Startup Menu group).

Linda Yakinalotski
:-)