Re: 'run xterm' fails to open a window

On 11/12/2009 3:17 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 10/11/2009 23:44, Mike Ayers wrote:
On Behalf Of jean-luc malet
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 2:50 AM

no more result... gvim process is still started, appears in ps -a, but
nothing is displayed on screen, replacing gvim by xterm still work
with this solution...

To find out why this is, run gvim from an xterm:

[SNIP]
m-ayers-lap>  gvim

(gvim:1748): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 0x6EAD

(gvim:1748): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6EAD

(gvim:1748): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 0x6EAD

(gvim:1748): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6EAD
m-ayers-lap>
(gvim:1092): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6EAD
[/SNIP]

Apparently, run.exe is not providing stdout/stderr to dump to. The workaround:

[SNIP]
C:\mike>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin sh -c "gvim>/dev/null 2>&1"
C:\mike>
[/SNIP]

Wait, are you saying that the process that run starts is blocked if it tries to output anything?

Ah, so this explains my xterm problem that started this thread. When I start xterm from a shell, I always get the message

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

When I start xterm via run, this message apparently has nowhere to go and the xterm process is blocked. Mike's workaround (with 'gvim' replaced by 'xterm') solves the problem, as he said. Is this a bug in run?

It would also be nice to get rid of that xterm warning. Setting LANG=C gets rid of it, so it seems to be another locale issue.

Ken