Re: checkX problems

Charles Wilson wrote:

[...]

run.exe is peculiar. The first argument is the target, and IF the VERY
NEXT argument is "-wait", run "usurps" that argument.  That is, run
will invoke:
   checkX <other args>
and checkX will never see "-wait".  So, what does run.exe do with
"-wait"? It...waits.  run.exe won't exit, until after the inferior
does.

Could you please clarify an issue here? (Sorry, it seems, I wronged to ``run'' in the previous posts.)

In a Windows command prompt (being somewhere on C:) I put the line
\cygwin\bin\run -p /usr/bin sleep -wait 5
into a file ``dosleep.bat''. Executing that BAT-script (w/o any wrapper), it *does* sleep. Typing that very line directly at the prompt lets ``run'' return immediately, though. Can you confirm this behaviour?

Looking forward to reading your patches to address any of these
problems.

It shouldn't be too hard to add an option to checkX to make it "retry" if ECONNREFUSED. This would have to manually track the elapsed time for each attempt, charging against the specified -t <waittime>.

Another possibility would be an option ``-n'' to specify the number of retries.

Just
look at run2-0.3.0/lib/checkX.c::try_with_timeout().  Some function
signatures might need to be changed in order to pass opt.retry down
to that level, but it'd be a nice short project for someone.

I'll try to get to this but it'll be a few weeks, unless somebody
sends me a patch sooner.

I'd volunteer for that. How/where do I upload?

Asks
       Lothar