From: Jon TURNEY [mailto:jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 10:30 AM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: sheppardco@aol.com
Subject: Re: Automatically positioned mouse movements are off target

On 24/08/2009 23:05, Brian Sheppard wrote:
> I installed Cygwin/X (latest version, according to the Cygwin
> installer) on my laptop. I use Putty with X11 forwarding to connect to
> a Red Hat Linux system. I start the X windows server on my laptop
> using startxwin.bat as installed. After logging in to the Red Hat
> system, I execute gnome-session&, and the gnome desktop shows on my
Windows desktop. So far, so good.

> I am testing a Java application using a tool called Abbot. Abbot
> launches your Java Swing app within Abbot's JVM. Abbot reads the
> coordinates of Swing components from internal Java objects, and then
> issues mouse and keystroke commands to simulate user actions according to
a script.

> My observation is that the mouse clicks are off target. Specifically,
> Abbot is aiming to hit the exact center of each component, but it
> misses either high or low. (Left and right centering seem fine.)
>
> The amount of the miss has something to do with my Task Bar. When the
> Windows Task Bar is locked at top, then the clicks miss below (i.e.,
> lower on the screen) the intended component. When the Task Bar is
> docked to the right, left, or bottom, or if it is at the top and set
> to auto-hide then mouse clicks miss above the intended component.

Thanks for the problem report.

I did some testing against Xserver 1.7.1 with xevent [1] and xdotool [2] to
position the mouse pointer, but I wasn't able to reproduce the behaviour you
are seeing.

I really have no idea how to get started using abbot to reproduce the
problem you see, a simple test case would help a lot here.

[1] http://www.isv.uu.se/~ziemann/xevent/
[2] http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

--
Jon TURNEY