Re: Setup for "basic" development

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 01:46:07PM -0800, xtheunknown0 wrote:

>Hi, I've used various distros of Linux *just* long enough to know commands
>like ls, cat, gcc something -o something, and cd. I was trying to setup
>Cygwin but when I got to the window with stacks of checkboxes to tick or not
>tick I got bewildered. What do I tick so that I can compile simple C
>programs, use basic Unix commands, have Vim, ie. use a Linux shell to
>replace Command Prompt?

This has nothing to do with Cygwin/X.  Please check out the mailing
lists at http://cygwin.com/lists.html and then decide to move to the
cygwin mailing list.

To answer your question, the basic Cygwin install will provide you with
the bash shell.  If you want 'vim', then check the 'vim' checkbox.  If
you want a compiler use 'gcc'.