Can't start xterm from Cygwin/X icon in system tray

I have a very strange situation.

At work, I am running Win XP SP3.  I installed all the latest Cygwin
(1.7.1) + Xorg updates, including startxwin.exe.  Everything works
perfectly.

At home, I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.  I am unable to
start an xterm from the Cygwin/X icon in the system tray (right-click,
select xterm).  Both setups have the same line in .XWinrc:

        "xterm"      EXEC  "xterm"

I am starting the X server the same way:

    D:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

I do not have a ~/.startxwinrc file.  The xterm that is supposed to be
created when the server starts doesn't start either.

The symptom is that xterm.exe is shown running in the task manager,
but there is no Xterm window on the desktop.

As  a work-around, I created a shortcut on my desktop to start an xterm:

    D:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/xterm -display localhost:0

That works perfectly, but is not an optimum solution (I try to have as
few desktop icons as possible).

There is nothing in the /var/log/Xwin log that indicates why an xterm
would start but not open a window.

Any ideas?

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us