Re: Can't start xterm from Cygwin/X icon in system tray

On 12/31/2009 10:53 AM, john at asyn dot org wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

I am unable to start an xterm from the Cygwin/X icon in the system tray (right-click, select xterm). Both setups have the same line in .XWinrc: "xterm" EXEC "xterm" As a work-around, I created a shortcut on my desktop to start an xterm: D:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/xterm -display localhost:0 That works perfectly,
[...]
I tried this explicitly:

"xterm" EXEC "xterm -display localhost:0"

That didn't make a difference.

One other piece of data:  I modifed ~/.XWinrc and then clicked "Reload
.xwinrc" from the menu in the system tray. This KILLED the X server!

> I had this problem. It was happening because PATH was not being set.
> The problem went away when I used /startxwin.bat instead of
> /bin/startxwin.exe.

If PATH is not being set, then you're probably not running startxwin.exe from a login shell. See

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-12/msg00117.html

Ken