Re: problem with startxwin.exe and a possible solution

--- Ven 22/1/10, Charles Wilson  ha scritto:

> Marco Atzeri wrote:
> > Today I start some experiments and I have found that
> > changing the menu target from
> >
> > C:\cygwin2\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
> /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

> > C:\cygwin2\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin
> /usr/bin/startxwin.exe
> >
> > all the problems seem gone.
> > The Xserver is stable and all the Xterms run
> smoothly.
> >
> > I suppose that my login shell redefine some parameters
> that
> > startxwin.exe needs, while a much simpler
> > "run.exe -p /usr/bin" is what is really needed.
>
> The real issue, I think, is that your mechanism doesn't
> allow you to set
> OTHER environment variables that might need to be defined
> before
> launching XWin, such as LC_ALL etc -- which would get set
> by the
> original formula, since 'bash -l' reads your startup files
> like
> ~/.bash_profile where they might get set.

As on my .bash_profile, I don't set LC_ALL and I just clean
PATH and redirect TEMP and TMP, I have not such problem.

However I just tested that
C:\cygwin2\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

is also working as expected.

Using such target I have 3 process:
bash.exe
startxwin.exe
Xwin.exe

I just checked with Process Explorer the enviroment and I
find that, for both bash and startxwin.exe, PATH
is not the one I have in .bash_profile..

For the bash process this does make sense, but startxwin.exe should have the PATH redefined.
If I run from a bash-xterm login session another bash -l,
Process Explorer reports the first with the windows PATH but
the second with the redefined PATH as the first is a login
shell and followed .bash_profile.

It is like the "-c" option of bash is blocking the "-l"
option.

As my Windows PATH don't include the cygwin /usr/bin,
without the "-p /usr/bin" bash is crippled and so also startxwin.exe..

> --
> Chuck

Marco