Xwindows very slow to paint, esp. for nedit

Hi.? I just installed Cygwin and its X11 default package on my PC
running Windows 7.? X starts okay when I enter startx, however the
window menus are very slow to paint.? I'm seeing lags for xterm menu
items and title bars as well as XEmacs menus. The worst case seems to be
nedit's menu items.? The menu paint just crawls along.

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Ken