Re: How do I start WM?

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 10:56 -0800, Joseph Ess wrote:
> From: "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <yselkowitz at users dot sourceforge dot net>
> >On 2010-02-25 10:16, Joseph Ess wrote:
> > >I can reproduce your finding.  Putting just "openbox&" in my ~/xinitrc does not work.
> > Of course not; the xinit(1) man page explains that clearly.
>
> Really? I looked. Your definition of "clear" and mine must be different.
> The xinit(1) man page suggests an ~/xinitrc like so:
>
> xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid gray &
> xclock -g 50x50-0+0 -bw 0 &
> xload -g 50x50-50+0 -bw 0 &
> xterm -g 80x24+0+0 &
> xterm -g 80x24+0-0 &
> twm
> I would assume (yea, I'm sticking my neck out) I could comment out twm and substitute another WM. Doing so works with WindowMaker.  It doesn't with OpenBox.
> Reid Thompson suggested doing something similar here: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-02/msg00149.html
> What am I doing wrong and how can i fix it?
> Thanks,
> Joe

yep -- mine is probably not the best/a little off.

Note my last line, i'm not at my cygwin box right now, but I'll bet that
if you exit the xterm that is opened on startup, that everything goes
away (i.e. xinit exits after that xterm exits )

exec xterm -geometry 80x6+0+0 -name login

I generally start my xserver & apps with my own script.  Which is why i
had the short debugging session to get startx/.xinitrc/.xserverrc
working on my box that i posted in my email.  At some point in the way
back, I left things in a bad state.