Re: xterm no longer accepts keyboard input

On 3/13/2010 1:05 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
I have used X under Cygwin successfully for years. Yesterday I did an upgrade of my Cygwin installation and X stopped working. After struggling to get things working again, I decided to just install Cygwin fresh and start over. Now I can get the X server started (following the instructions in the Cygwin/X User's Guide, running /usr/bin/startxwin from a Cygwin shell), but xterm windows that I open do not respond to keyboard input. I looked at the FAQ and found the entry (3.2 I upgraded my X server and now I can't type anything into any X application) which warns against using any older scripts to launch X, but as noted above, I'm invoking the startxwin binary directly. Any thoughts as to what could be going wrong, given that this is an installation of Cygwin and X from scratch?

Following up on my earlier post, I see that although I am able to start the X server if I invoke /usr/bin/startxwin directly from a Cygwin shell, that's not *exactly* what the FAQ was suggesting. What the FAQ document actually suggests is that I start the X server by using the shortcut under "Cygwin-X" on the start menu. When I tried that method I got the following error message (I tried attaching a screen shot, since the error message was not presented in plain text, but that was rejected by the mailing list, so I'm transcribing the text from the image by hand):

Cygwin/X
(X) A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
Please open /var/log/XWin.0.log for more information.

Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.7.5.0 (10705000)
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Build Date: 2010-02-25

XWin was started with the following command-line:

X : -multiwindow

Following the instructions for reporting problems, I have also attached the requested cygcheck output, as well as a copy of /var/log/XWin.0.log.

-- Bob Kline http://www.rksystems.com mailto:bkline@rksystems.com