Re: emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 17:55, Markus Hoenicka
<markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de> wrote:
> Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> was heard to say:
>
>> So far it seems that (1) emacs takes a long time to start up (2) xterm
>> starts up quickly. ?Are there other X applications that you use and how do
>> they behave?
>>

> I've followed this thread with interest, but so far I thought I'm not
> affected. I usually start emacs along with the xserver by typing "startxwin
> /usr/bin/emacs" in the MinTTY console. This works without problems. Also,
> starting Emacs from the right-click menu of the X server in the system tray
> works fine. However, I've never noticed that starting emacs from MinTTY into
> a running X session actually takes quite some time. That is, I can confirm
> this part of the OP's problem.

I bring up X (along with the first xterm window) by using this
Windows-XP shortcut:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe
-- -nolock"

After, I do everything through said xterm window.

Opening emacs by right clicking the X tray icon produces similar
results to doing so through the command line: it takes a very long
time.

--Dan