Re: Multimedia keys interpreted as alphabetic keys

On 20/04/2010 12:21, Chris Bird wrote:
Thanks very much for getting back to me so soon.

That seems to have fixed the problem, and I will use this version until
it's in the main build, thanks.

Thanks very much for testing the fix.

There are a couple of side effects:

1) XWin dies immediately after outputting a message on startup if I pass
it both -multiwindow and -logverbose - either in combination with other
parameters seems to be fine. I have included output into XWin.0.log in
this instance below.

A numeric verbosity level is mandatory after -logverbose, as the usage info should make clear, so the command line below is invalid.

-logverbose verbosity
        Set the verbosity of log messages. [NOTE: Only a few messages
        respect the settings yet]
                0 - only print fatal error.
                1 - print additional configuration information.
                2 - print additional runtime information [default].
                3 - print debugging and tracing information.

If you can construct a command line using -logverbose without a numeric verbosity level which is accepted, this is another bug in XWin.

2) When I ssh to another machine and start the Kate text editor, the
fonts of the menus and the file being edited are larger than usual (ie.
larger than when I use it with my old version of XWin). I restarted the
old XWin and did the same and they were back to normal size. I'm not
sure where to look for useful logging information on this.

This is expected, as the build I provided is based on the xorg-server 1.8.0-1 test release [1], which includes a change for the default DPI value used by the X server from 75 to the value reported by Windows (usually 96)

You can override the dpi value using the '-dpi' command line option.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2010-04/msg00000.html

----------------XWin.0.log starting with with %RUN%
XWin.20100418-git-9594fb420a063608.exe -multiwindow -clipboard
-silent-dup-error -xkblayout gb -logverbose-------------------

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.8.0.0 (10800000)
Snapshot: 20100418-git-9594fb420a063608

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin.20100418-git-9594fb420a063608 -multiwindow
-clipboard -silent-dup-error -xkblayout gb -logverbose

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - primary monitor w 2560 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
use: X [:<display>] [option]

[displays usage info]