Re: How to remotly launch application with SSH and Cygwin/X server

On 2/26/2010 2:07 PM, __Ricardo__ wrote:
X23G8c wrote:

From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-
owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of __Ricardo__
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 8:09 AM

didn't help too :(
I have Win XP SP2, under this system I had installed Cygwin 1.5 and
launch
GUI apps via ssh
worked. Now I have Win XP SP2 too, but current Cygwin version is 1.7.1
- It
doesn't work.

You are trying to launch the Windows screen apps as the user that owns the screen, correct?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes. I'll try to explain better: I'm log on to windows as e.g. User1, that is administrator user. When I start cygwin shell I can simply run: $notepad

I see Notepad application correct launched, but If I do it this way:

   $ssh User1@localhost
User1@localhost's password:
Last login: Fri Feb 26 18:00:01 2010 from localhost

User1@athlon ~
$ notepad

I have notepad launched (I see it on process ) but it cannot draw correctly
himself on the screen. The same behaviour was in Cygwin 1.5, but then
sufficient thing to do was simply select SSHD service option: "Allow service
to interact with desktop", which was solve the problem.

With Cygwins' 1.7 SSHD, selection this option does not take any effect, I
have still this unexpected to me behaviour.

There are more authentication options in 1.7 which may help:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>

However, I will say that you shouldn't get too used to this working, since
MS removed the capability after XP.

Holliston, MA 01746