xterm gvim Windows 7 STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

The same kind of problem was reported earlier by Yuval Emek on May 3, 2010.

I am having a number of STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION issues, although most of them are intermittent, which makes me think it is some kind of timing problem. I am running Cygwin 1.75 under Windows 7 Pro. I changed the ownership of the cygwin directory and its subdirectories except for $HOME to be Administators. I disabled the User Account Control so that there would not be dropped prompts for Administrative privileges. $HOME and its subdirectories are owned by me as the Windows login user.

There are a number of scripts in my own sbin directory which spawn an X Windows with a command to be executed, usually a vim invocation; e.g., "xterm -e vim $@" (opens up vim for editing whatever files I specify in a new window). Under Windows XP, this never caused any problems. Under Windows 7, it often but not always gives the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error. When running vim in the newly spawned X window, I frequently use a command like "%!fmt" in order to format the file for easier reading. When running vim in the spawned X window, this command often gives a gvim.exe.stackdump with the same STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION, but I discovered by accident that if I use "xterm -e vim-nox $@" instead of "xterm -e vim $@", I do not get the gvim stackdumps when using fmt.

There is a related issue. If I start a new X window using the shortcut in the Start Menu, it will occasionally fail to start. But if I hit the same shortcut a second time, it usually does open a new window. This is why I think there is some kind of time-out problem while it is waiting for a response from the X server. This will happen whether or not there are any
other X windows open.

Is there is a way to adjust the amount of time a request for a new X window will wait?

At this point, these problems are more of a nuisance than something fatal, but I would love to get the Cygwin X window system to be more reliable under Windows 7.

Any comments on what might help the situation will be welcome.

Mike