Re: Keyboard and start options problems

On 13/04/2010 15:30, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
Le 2010-04-13 09:54, Jon TURNEY a écrit :
On 07/04/2010 20:04, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
My French-Canadian keyboard is not recognized:
2010-04-06 14:42:35 (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00001009"
(00001009)
2010-04-06 14:42:35 (EE) Keyboardlayout "Canadian French" (00001009)
is unknown
2010-04-06 14:42:35 Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us"
Variant = "" Options = ""

I was going to add this to the list of automatically recognized layouts, but there's something I don't quite understand here. Perhaps you can help clear up the confusion so I can do that?

According to the list of locale IDs [2], 0x0c0c is "Canadian French"
(for which we already automatically select the XKB layout ca variant
fr) and 0x1009 is "Canadian English".

Assuming that is correct, at the very least, it looks like the middle
line of the log output where we map the locale ID to keyboard layout
name is wrong somehow.

Is it the case that you have multiple keyboard layouts installed?

Is it really the case that 0x1009 should be mapped to ca-fr? Is ca-en
more appropriate, but you happen to want to use ca-fr?

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-submit-layout
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0h88fahh%28VS.85%29.aspx

Jon,

You are correct in assuming I have both keyboards installed. I usually
use the French-Canadian keyboard in all apps except xterms where I
prefer a US keyboard. So the default behaviour I am seeing is pretty
much the one I would like to use, except that I sometimes want to write
French comments in my scripts and I then need the French-Canadian
keyboard layout in my xterm.

On the Microsoft site
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/goglobal/bb964651%28en-us%29.aspx), the
right keyboard is the Canadian French.

Okay, after looking into this a bit more, it seems I was looking at the wrong table, for locale identifiers rather than input locale identifiers.

Checking [1], it seems clear that 0x1009 ('Canadian French') should map to layout ca variant fr and 0x0c0c (which is described as 'Canadian French (legacy)') to layout ca variant fr-legacy. So I'll update the keyboard layout mapping table appropriately. I'll also add the 0x11009 ('Canadian Multilingual Standard') mapped to layout ca variant multix, which has been discussed elsewhere.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766503%28WS.10%29.aspx

I tried "setxkbmap ca" to switch to the French-Canada keyboard layout
and it was perfect in the original xterm that starts-up with Cygwin/X.
But all other xterms I launched from this one didn't forward the
keyboard layout correctly and the only key that still worked was the
"é". All characters built using one of the dead-keys just produced the
plain character without any accent.

If I didn't provide all the information you require, don't hesitate to
ask for more.

I couldn't reproduce this, but I'm not sure I'm trying the right thing.

Could you give me a step-by-step guide, including what keyboard layout you have selected in Windows, and what compose sequences you are trying that don't work?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer