Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium

On 10/08/2010 00:19, Bob Kline wrote:
I finally had to replace my ancient Windows XP box, and ended up with a
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. If I run setup.exe to install a fresh
cygwin, it succeeds as long as I don't touch the X11 set, leaving it at
Default (which is to say, don't install anything in the set). If I change
Default to Install for X11, I get a dialog box which says:

Cygwin Setup - Running postinstall scripts
Postinstall script errors
The following errors occured executing postinstall scripts
Package: gcc4-core
gcc4-core.sh exit code 126

This one is already reported at [1], and the workaround given there,i.e.

chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fix-libtool-scripts-for-latest-gcc-runtimes.sh

and then run /etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh manually should work.

I'm a bit surprised that gcc4 is a dependency of X.

Package: libglade2.0_0
libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
Package: xinit
xinit.sh exit code 8
Package: No package
gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
xinit.sh exit code 8

When I click Next, I get an error message saying the installation won't work
properly unless I correct the failures which occurred, and tells me to look in
the log file. The log file doesn't have anything beyond what appears in the
dialog box as far as the errors are concerned, and there's no clue anywhere
telling me how I'm supposed to go about correcting the errors.
[snip]
Could I please have some assistance figuring out how to correct the errors?
What other information do I need to supply?

Thanks for reporting these problems.

Setup has only recently started recording problems with postinstall scripts, previously it would silently ignore failures.

Hmm... it seems that the output from these failing commands is only captured in setup.log.full, not setup.log, so I think that messagebox needs fixing.

You can look there, or run these scripts manually (they can be found in /etc/postinstall) and post the errors reported by those scripts so we can fix the problems.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00158.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer