Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium

On 8/10/2010 11:49 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
and since all xinit.sh does is run mkshortcut to create a start menu shortcut, I'd guess this is the same issue as [1], assuming we don't have a cygutils release with that fixed yet.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00357.html

Right. As for the third problem (with libglade), the error output is

add command failed
could not open /etc/xml/catalog for saving

Took a peek and saw that /etc/xml had not been created. So I created the directory and ran libglade2.0.sh again, reduced the error output to simply

add command failed

and when I checked for /etc/xml/catalog is saw that it had been created, but that it was empty. So I did some more googling, and found [1]. By adding --create to the script (and first removing the empty /etc/xml/catalog file) I was able to get the script to succeed. Unsettling that the libglade problem still hasn't been fixed after almost a couple of years, but at least I have (I think) "fixed" all three of the problems reported by the installer.

As for the theories about the differences in results between Jim Reisert's Win 7 Pro machine and my Win 7 Premium box: I did the rest of my experimenting on a Win 7 Enterprise virtual machine, and ran into the same problems as on Win 7 Premium. So I'm pretty confident the different flavors of Win 7 had nothing to do with it. Much more likely that setup ran into the same failures (silently) on Win 7 Pro because the installation was done before setup was reporting the postinstall script failures. I would guess that the new practice of putting up the dialog window telling the new Cygwin user that his new installation will not work correctly until he fixes all of the errors which occurred will result in a decreased number of new users who are brave enough to persevere with Cygwin, but an increase in the number of problems which are actually reported and (let's hope) fixed. On balance, at least in the long run, a worthy trade-off.

Thanks again for your assistance.

[1] http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-October.txt

--
Bob Kline