Re: Re: xterm and 7-bit control codes

On 8:59 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
As far as I know, xterm's never sent more than one byte for either x/y in
a button event. Ditto for rxvt. It sounds like a useful idea, except that it would of course be incompatible with the existing applications.
So it would have to be enabled by a new control sequence.
Hehe... very true about breaking existing apps. All those years ago the extra octet kick-started everything by confusing emacs (well, xterm-mouse-mode, really). I started looking at the character stream and reverse-engineered the above formula while trying to get rid of all the ascii garbage that polluted my buffers after stray mouse clicks. Only then did I realize I could exploit (rather than suppress) the extra octets to make large terminals behave better...

(On the other hand, whatever application you were using at the time may have translated the characters in that manner).
I dug up an old .emacs, and it actually mentions gnu screen. If so, that's definitely been "fixed" because I specifically tested screen on several machines (cygwin, solaris, linux), plus rxvt and the gnome terminal***) before posting here. Any ideas what other terminal emulators I might test?

Side note: how much pain would it be asking for if I tried to add the double-octet behavior to xterm as a feature? Would it be better to tackle rxvt? Or would it be man-weeks of work no matter what and I should just drop it?

Thanks,
Ryan

*** testing gnome terminal was hilarious: enabling mouse support and clicking on the wrong position sends a control sequence containing ^Z, which duly backgrounds the app!