Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7 (back again)

Jon, et al --

...and then Jon TURNEY said...
%
% On 28/10/2010 02:41, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >...and then Jon TURNEY said...
% >%
% >% You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier'
% >% and 'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.
% >
% >I'm back with xfd loaded now.  Sure enough, the two are distinctly
% >different; the former is smaller than the latter, although not so tiny as
% >to be invisible as in gvim.  This sure sounds like a lead, though!
%
% The fonts aren't supposed to be visually identical, as they are potentially
% different fonts being draw by different renderers.  But the sizes should be
% approximately the same.

OK.  That makes sense.

%
% Let me try asking the question a different way: Does 'xfd -fa
% "Courier-10:style=Bold"' show a reasonably sized font at the same time as
% gvim, with that font set, doesn't? (In which case one might conclude this
% is probably a gvim bug)

They are quite similar.  Interestingly, however, trying

  Courier-18:style=Bold
  Courier-24
  Courier-48:style=Italic

all look exactly identical (and the latter nonetheless shows "Regular" at
the top).  When I 'select a character' they all show "width: 6" and
"(font 7,2)"; the Bolds show "left 0" while the Regulars show "left 1".

Could the fonts all be coming from the same source instead of being sized
properly, maybe?

%
% I don't think this is quite the same problem as reported by Frédéric Bron,
% as you don't seem to be using -resize.

Ah.  Definitely not.

%
% --
% Jon TURNEY
% Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Thanks again & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G