Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1

Dear Jon,

Since the update I have been unable to start XWin under [1.7].
Following my usual sequence at a bash prompt:

mount n:/tmp /tmp # drive n: is NTFS as required
run XWin -multiwindow &

Normally these two would be followed by a command line for xterm, but I am not getting that far! The second line repeatedly generates a Cygwin/X error message box, where the reason given is very familiar:

Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

I used to get this when /tmp was FAT32 but as you see from line 1 I am making an explicit mount to a NTFS drive, and in the recent past this step has been all that is necessary to make progress. When I open /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log for more information I read

~> cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
Build Date: 2010-11-03

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/mandible:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

Fatal server error:
Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

[1]+ Done run XWin -multiwindow

Can anything be determined from the 3 lines in this file beginning _XSERV ("Unable" .. "failed" .. "failed")? Do I need to change my command sequence?

BTW it's interesting (is it?) that the error message refers to 1.9.2.0 not 1.9.2-1.

I'm surprised that there are no other anguished reports to you following the update, but I guess that's because the fault/ problem/ difficulty is mine rather than general. ?? Any insights much appreciated.

Thank you,

Fergus

PS It kills me not to copy this to cygwin at cygwin dot com which I feel will have a much wider readership and skill set amongst that readership, but anybody sinning in this regard is always referred straight to Cygwin-X. A strange separation of reporting. Not that I am doubting your specific capability, just the potential for "Me Too" amongst readers. (Or even "Not Me, but I Know What's Going Wrong".)