Re: X server does not start from bash nor start menu

On 10/11/2010 09:19, ed wrote:

>     I have a newly installed windows XP pro virtual machine that I was
> using to test out x/cygwin with empathy and kdenlive, but unfortunatly
> I have run into a problem.
>     The X server will not start. I have tried to startxwin.exe from
> the bash shell and I get the following error :
> $startxwin
>     giving up.
>     startxwin: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect
> to X server.
>     startxwin: No such Process (errno 3):  Server error.
> $
>     I have looked for an error log in /var/log, but there is nothing
> to view only a sub-directory named xwin with a zero byte file named
> ".keep-xorg-server"
>     Also, I have changed the PATH environment variable in Windows to
> include C:\cygwin\bin and this also has no affect on the ability to
> start the X server.
>     When I choose to use the start menu entry "XWin Server" I get a
> couple of processes named bash.exe and startxwin.exe, but then they
> disappear after a few seconds.
>     I have also added a CYGWIN variable to the environment variables
> in the advanced tab of "my computer" properties, but giving the value
> of "tty notitle noglob" doesn't resolve the issue either.

I don't know where you've found this suggestion, but don't add 'tty' to CYGWIN
if you want to start it via the start menu item.  This doesn't work due to
some problem with run.exe

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-startxwin-no-windows

>     Now I am back with a fresh install of windows XP and a minimal
> install of cygwin that includes the cygwin default packages and three
> additional packages ( xinit, xorg-server, and X-start-menu-icons),
> which should give me a minimal install of an X server with the ability
> to run at least xterm.
>     I am Administrator on the Windows machine, and the bash shell
> works fine ( I installed midnight commander and nano ),

Can you start the X server by typing 'XWin' into a bash shell?  Does that
produce any output?  If not, does 'cygcheck XWin' identify any problems?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer