Re: can not startx

jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk (Jon TURNEY) writes:

> On 13/01/2011 10:35, Reinier Post wrote:
> > Yaakov (Cygwin/X <yselkowitz <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:

[...]

> Since this has been reported a few times, I've added this to the Cygwin/X FAQ,
> [1].

Thanks a lot for having a look at this!
Meanwhile I have subscribed, so I can post attachments now.

[...]

> > The problem appeared after running a rebaseall and rebooting for a regular
> > Windows 7 update.  I haven't made any hardware changes and Cygwin/X was
> > running fine yesterday.  After the problem appeared,
> > running another erebaseall or updating my Cygwin 1.7 installation
> > didn't help.
>
> What arguments did you use to rebaseall?  I seem to recall Windows 7 doesn't
> work well with the default ones.

I'm using -v; I have found a couple of postings discussing this issue

This prompted me to run perlrebase for my CPAN-installed Perl DLLs;
I checked and it is using peflags -d0, but this is irrelevant anyway,
because X crashes even when started from a shortcut that says just

  C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin startxwin

at a time when there are absolutely no cygwin1.dll-based processes
running.  (Checked with SysInternals Process Explorer).

> Windows 7 or Windows 7 64bit? Please attach your cygcheck output as requested
> by the URL above.

I have had to apply minor censorship to it, in places marked by (...),
to avoid any problems with local network security people.

/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log is attached as well.

I want to stress that running XMing is an acceptable workaround.