Re: AIGLX

On 21/01/2011 17:52, Ken Olum wrote:
>    From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
>    Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:11:12 +0000
>
>    Anyhow, can you try with 'GLWIN_NO_WGL_EXTENSIONS=1 XWin -wgl -multiwindow'
>
> Thanks.  I did this and it worked.  However, for a particular paraview
> dataset that I happened to have lying around it is slower than direct
> rendering by a factor of about 2.  That may be related to the fact
> that this particular scene has wiggly tubes with structure too small
> to show on the screen, so there is a high ratio of data to things that
> actually get displayed.  For the same scene, unaccelerated indirect
> rendering is much slower than accelerated, perhaps by a factor of 10.
> So when you can't use direct rendering, acceleration is a big help.

Ok, thanks very much for trying it out anyhow.  It's very useful to have a
data point like that for an actual real-world use case :-)

Another factor is possibly that you aren't going to get awesome hardware
accelerated performance with an Intel 845G, either.

> Once I say -wgl, direct rendering no longer works.  That is, if I
> don't set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT, then I get a long (infinite?)
> sequence of errors like this:
>
> X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
>   Major opcode: 73 (X_GetImage)
>   Resource id:  0xa0039a

I can't reproduce this problem.  Can you give me a few more details on the
host which is running paraview: unix version, version of libGL and version of
paraview?

Do you get that error with other OpenGL applications (e.g. glxinfo) or just
paraview?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer