AW: X doesn't start for user without admin rights

Hi Jon,

great help, yes the problem is related to /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 and /tmp/.X0-lock.
When these files are not present, the underpriviledged user can start X fine.
The situation is now as follows:

SCENARIO 1:
Log in as administrator. Start X.
Reboot PC and log in as normal user.
-> The files are present.
=> The normal user can't start X.

SCENARIO 2:
Log in as administrator. Start X.
Manually shut down X by double-clicking on the X-icon in the taskbar (near the clock).
Reboot PC and log in as normal user.
-> The files are not present.
=> The normal user can start X.

It seems that on reboot of the PC, X doesn't shut down properly, and instead just gets killed.

I played around with the access rights of the /tmp dir: I gave everybody (world) full rights.
But that doesn't help because the files get their own ACL when they are (re)created.

So currently the administrator is required to not forget to manually shut down his X server,
otherwise normal users can't start X.

Cygwin and Cygwin/X are great products, BTW.

With kind regards,
  Paul.