Re: xterm access violations (again)

On 01/04/2011 17:05, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Could someone try this with the latest snapshot?  I haven't made any
>>> changes but I just want to confirm that it still fails with something
>>> close to what will become Cygwin 1.7.9.
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>>
>>> You just have to replace the DLL.  Don't bother with a "cygwin-inst*"
>>> tarball.
>>
>> Yes, still there:
>
> How can I/we assist in debugging this problem?  First we need to
> determine where the problem lies, whether it's in Cygwin itself, or
> xterm. Today it took me 3-4 tries to get an xterm up.  As I was
> running late for work, it was kind of frustrating.

I think you could:

1. Obtain the cygwin1.dbg file corresponding to your cygwin1.dll (for
snapshots, it is available from the snapshot page, for releases, I believe it
is in the corresponding cygwin src package), and place it next to your cygwin1.dll
2. Run xterm under gdb
3. Obtain a backtrace when the segv occurs
4. Diagnose the problem
5. Write and test a patch to fix it

You'll probably want to refer to [1] for that last step. :-)

[1] http://cygwin.com/contrib.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer